Beetroot & Lentil Burger
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup brown lentils
1 cup stock
1 grated beetroot
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp cumin
Salt & pepper
1. Boil stock and add rinsed lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 min
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in oil for 5 min then add garlic for 1 min, set aside to cool
3. Peel and grate beetroot
4. Drain lentils and let cool for 10 min
5. Add all ingredients [& seasonings] into a bowl and mix well
6. Form four patties and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
7. Heat oil in a pan and add patties. Allow to cook on a medium heat for 15-20 min until the bottoms get crispy, this helps burgers stay in tact while flipping.
8. Carefully flip the patties, cook for another 10 min, serve on a bun with your choice of toppings
TIP: Try some homemade tomato chutney or beetroot coleslaw as a filler (recipes in the book).
I've created many veggie burgers in my days and this one seems to steal the spotlight. Add in any of your favourite spices to give the patty the flavour you're looking for. A non-stick pan may be your best friend when it comes to veggie burgers not falling apart.